Maintenance of your Automatic Garage Doors
The PT Doors service doesn’t just finish when we’ve installed your new garage doors. As a customer you will want the doors to perform as good as new every time and we want you to be happy with your purchase for years to come, so we have come up with a checklist for you to use to make sure they perform as you expect.
By maintaining your garage door simply and correctly you will add years onto its life and ensure your warranty stays valid. Unlike a standard door in your house a garage door needs a bit of care and attention to keep it reliable and running smoothly. We get a quite a few questions regarding maintenance, so here is what we suggest to keep your doors working just like new:
- Wash the door with a cloth and clean water at least once a month (if you live very close to the beach then we recommend more regular washing due to salt).
- When washing the door be careful NOT to wash the automatic opener as you could get electrocuted.
This is a key component of maintaining your door. There are various parts which will need to be lubricated:
- Guide tracks – clean the internal areas with methylated spirits. The surfaces need to stay as smooth as possible, free of dirt and moisture. It’s very important to note that you should NOT use grease or oil on these components. Sectional doors do not need the inside of their guide tracks polished.
- Hinges – if you have steel hinges then use all-purpose machine oil. If you have plastic hinges then no oil lubrication is needed, but if they stick then use a silicon spray.
- Springs – if you can reach these then use an oily rag to wipe them.
- Opener chain – this should be lubricated with Chain Lube
You should lubricate these components 2 – 4 times per year, or approx every 3 months, for optimum performance of your garage door.
Every 12 months it is recommended that you have PT Doors service your garage doors.
We work with the manufacturers specification and during this service we will ensure that the following are checked:
- Springs – it’s important the tension in the springs are at the correct level. The springs will lose tension over time, which means the door becomes hard to operate or even stop working completely. Door manufacturers advise that specialists do this work to their specifications.
- Lifting cables – we will check for wear, fraying or corrosion of the cables and service as required. Like with the springs, these cables work under specific tensions and manufacturers advise that specialists carry out the servicing.
- We also check all nuts, bolts and screws to make sure they are secure.
Please call us on 02 9785 3219 for more details and a quote on our servicing.